Apply for a fire service installation

The following fire service connections and combinations are available:

  • Unmetered fire service
  • Combination meter with fire service
  • Manifold with bulk water meter and fire service

If your property has a separate hydrant and sprinkler fire service you must install a testable backflow prevention device at the property boundary upstream of any booster assembly or off-take. If the fire service also requires a water meter, applicable water and sewer availability charges will then be applied to the property water account.

Please note: It is a requirement of Council's backflow prevention and cross connection control policy that a double check detector assembly (DCDA) is installed on a fire service and registered with Shoalhaven Water. For more information, visit our backflow prevention page.

Steps to apply

Before you start

Have your documentation ready to upload

When you apply for a fire service installation, you will be asked to provide:

  • A current water development notice number (e.g. DA23/1234)
  • A service location plan, which can be uploaded as a jpg or pdf
  • Hydraulic plans and water sizing calculations, prepared by a qualified consultant

What is a service location plan?

A service location plan is a simple diagram that provides us the information we require to install your fire service in the position you want. Your nominated location must:

  • Be positioned along the front boundary, and
  • Not exceed one (1) metre in from the front boundary

example service location plan for fire service

Please note: If your preferred location requires the installation of a conduit, additional costs will be incurred. We will contact you to discuss costs and possible alternative service location options. Please see below service location plan example.

What is a hydraulic plan and/or water sizing calculation?

Hydraulic plans or water sizing calculations must be prepared by a qualified consultant such as a plumber or hydraulics consultant in accordance with relevant Australian Standards. Details may include:

  • Available water pressure (a water pressure certificate can be issued on application)
  • Existing size of water mains serving the development
  • Size of metered and unmetered services required
  • Development complexity
  • Use of water and demand allocation in calculation stage
  • Location of proposed metered and unmetered services
  • Number of meter services
  • Access to metered services
  • Maintenance and/or replacement of metered services
  • Backflow prevention devices (which may impact water pressure)
  • Impact to the water supply system

How to apply

Complete the online application form

Upload your service location plan, hydraulic plans and water sizing calculations when prompted.

The link below will take you to Council's online request management platform.

Apply online

What happens next

On receipt of your application, we will:

  1. Review the application to determine the location is viable
  2. Calculate cost of installation
  3. Issue a payment advice (invoice)

On receipt of payment, we will schedule the installation of the fire service connection as indicated on the service location plan. You must ensure the site has a two (2) metre square clearance where the installation is to occur.

Fire service installation will take up to 20 business days from date of payment.

Need help?

Need help? Contact us today

Call us on (02) 4429 3214 or visit your closest administration centre

Nowra Administration Centre
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
36 Bridge Road, Nowra NSW 2541

Ulladulla Branch Office
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm
14 Deering Street, Ulladulla NSW 2539

More information

Once a fire service has been installed the property owner or builder must engage a licensed plumber to connect the fire service to the premises.

If a backflow prevention device has been installed, it must be tested by an accredited backflow prevention plumber and registered with us. For more information visit our backflow prevention page.

All internal pipes on the property including taps and drains, are the property owner’s responsibility. Should a meter be damaged or interfered with, charges may be issued to the property owner.