Standpipes are portable hydrants designed to be connected to a fire hydrant in a water main to gain access to bulk water.
All standpipes used in our area of operations must be metered and hired from us. There are currently two sizes of metered standpipes:
- 25mm - for small volume users
- 65mm - for large volume users
The hire of metered standpipes must be for a demonstrated commercial purpose.
Bulk water filling stations offer a cheap and convenient means for contractors, water carters and rural customers to access drinking water. Our bulk water stations are located in:
- Kangaroo Valley - Broughton Street
- Tomerong - Corner of Hawken and Yerunda Roads
Please note: When you hire a metered standpipe from us, you commit to submitting quarterly meter readings. Failure to provide a meter reading will result in a usage charge calculated on an average standpipe water usage.
Steps to apply
Please review our standpipe hire agreement listing all prohibited areas.
Penalties will apply if:
- Shoalhaven Water receives complaints of no water or dirty water due to water being drawn in one of these low-pressure areas; or
- Damage occurs to the hydrant or main through use of standpipes at these locations. Any repair charges will be forwarded on to the person responsible.
On return of a standpipe, we will read the meter and deduct any water usage charges from the refundable deposit. If a standpipe is returned damaged, a full refund may not be issued.