Only the 3 P’s should be flushed down the toilet – Pee, Poo and (toilet) Paper.
Causes of a sewer blockage may include:
- Wet wipes, tissues, kitchen paper, and rags being
flushed down the toilet
- Rubbish, children’s toys, tennis balls, nappies,
clothing, sanitary pads/tampons, cooking waste, sand, and other wastes not
suitable for flushing into the sewer system
- Tree roots infiltrating the property pipes
- Crushed or flattened pipes that have been damaged
- Pipes that have been laid poorly
Tree roots & sewers
Tree roots damage sewer lines and can lead to clogged, overflowing, and slow-flowing drains. If this occurs within your property it is your responsibility to contact a plumber and have it fixed.
Root damage can also let stormwater into the pipes. During heavy rain, this extra water can overload the sewerage system causing it to overflow into our waterways and pollute the environment.